Sunday, August 29, 2010

Inheritance

Did you know that we are Christ's inheritance?  "By having the eyes of your heart flooded with light, so that you can know and understand the hope to which He has called you, and how rich is His glorious inheritance in the saints (His set-apart ones)..."  Ephesians 1:18.  His inheritance is in us.

Have you ever received an inheritance?  Is there a family joke about what you hope NOT to get should someone die?  I received one once.  I had an extra set of grandparents in my life.  They were actually not related to us at all...but they were "chosen family."  I'd known them since I was 6 months old and we loved one another.  They left me their prized possession.  It was a china cabinet that my grandfather had made.  And it was....atrocious. ha!  I had no idea what to do with it.  It was handcrafted with a large scalloped (And I mean scalloped!) edge with a bad stain job.  In fact, I can't really remember what I did with it but my siblings loved that I got it!  I tried to give it to any of them but they insisted they knew MY name was on the back of it.  (I only wish I had time to tell you about my grandmother's cole slaw and my brothers...no wonder they weren't chosen for the prize!)

Now I know that Jesus doesn't feel about us like I did about that china cabinet.  But just knowing that I'm his inheritance throws a completely different weight on the idea.  How rich is His inheritance in me?

1 comment:

Sandra said...

That cabinet was ORANGE!! LOL I think you left it in thier house.

I hope I become a better inheritance than that one.