Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Perceptions


Something happened while I was in Florida that I've dwelt on since I've been home.  And it has to do with this photo.  You may have to click on it to see Josiah on his bicycle and the park bench near him.  Let me tell you what happened.

The boys had taken their bicycles to this park to ride on the trail.  On the first ride around the trail, Isaac came whizzing by me on the new bicycle he'd gotten for his birthday.  Josiah was probably 150 yards behind him and wailing loudly.  He hadn't fallen, so I didn't know what was wrong.  Since I was the closest adult to him, I ran towards him and as soon as I was close enough so he could hear me, I began yelling, "What's wrong, Josiah??"  He half-talked, half-cried with real tears running down his cheeks, "I'M SCAAARED!  I'M AFRAID BACK THERE BY MYSELF!!"  It was the back-half of the trail and I could see why he didn't want to be back there all alone--just look at those tall, dark trees!  And I knew he'd been so excited to ride his bike with his big brother.  So when he stopped, I told him that I would go and sit on the bench and everytime he came around, his Gee would be there.  He perked up, shaking his head up and down and agreed that that would be good.  So I parked myself on that bench.  And he went around and around.

Unbeknownst to me, some friends from Jay & Amy's church had come to the same park and I guess in their conversation, Amy had pointed me out and told them I was her mother.  Her friend asked, "Why is your mother sitting over there?"  And Amy took an educated guess as to the reason why I was sitting on that bench.

God has used this story in my life.  From this friend's perception, I could be a snob or a loner who didn't like to talk to people.  But from my perspective, I was doing what any grandmother would do to help out a grandson.  And Amy's friend could have gone home that day without ever asking why I was alone and assumed I was a rude, snobbish person who had huge issues.

Actually, what it left me thinking on is how I make daily decisions that people can misconstrue.  For instance, I'm not very involved in our church's women's ministry and people could assume that I don't like the ministry, or the leaders, or I'm just a snob.  (And none of those is true.  I love the ministry and the leaders and pray for them often!)  The truth is that I've found my ministry where I believe God is using my gifts---which would be Living Water.  I'm also involved in counseling marriages (which most people would never know about).  I feel called to both of these ministries.  But it's also the truth that those 2 things leave me tired and I have no energy left to give to other ministries.  (My Mama always said I was the only kid in 1st grade that actually took a nap--and the teacher had to wake me up.  And nothin's changed...)

But the flip side is also true.  I could assume that you are flighty and an egomaniac because you seem to want to be involved in every ministry--front and center.  And the truth could be that you have a very outgoing personality and love people and feel called to make people feel welcome and accepted.

Perceptions are just that.  Perceptions.  Maybe it's time to get to the truth of the matter so we're all set free!  And I think part of the reason God has had me dwellling on this is because He's called us to unity.  And we'll never get there just guessing about one another, will we?

6 comments:

God's Gal Sarah said...

OH, Becky, how I needed this this morning. Thank you for sharing! Now I will have to ponder and be convicted on this all day =)

Jeff's View Through A Lens said...

I really enjoyed this one

Lindsey said...

Good words.

amy wright said...

Ha. And your assumption of what she might have been thinking was probably off, too. She probably thought you looked so peaceful over there talking to God. :)

Tammy said...

i agree with your perceptions. good blog becky. is it kind of in relation to that old saying don't judge a book by its' cover?

Becky Dietz said...

LOL Amy! I'm sure that was it!!

Yep, Tammy. I've judged a few books in my time. Obviously.