Sunday, April 25, 2010

And the walls came a tumb-lin' down


This morning, I'm staying with Andy's mom, Liz, because of a recent surgery.  (She's doing great)  As usual on a Sunday morning, she was watching Charles Stanley.  We were eating our cinnamon toast together, so I unusually watched him.

He was teaching about "Waiting on God" and using the story of the walls of Jericho falling.  God told the Israelites to march around the walls for 7 days---without saying a word---and on the 7th day, they were to march around silently 6 times and on the 7th time, they were to yell and blow the trumpets.  He used it as an illustration of waiting on God and what it does to our enemy. It intimidates them and puts fear in their hearts.
(And don't you know that if they had been talking, they would have been murmuring and complaining?  I don't know if you know this, but the number 7 is the number of "completion" in the Bible.) 

Which instantly led me (in my mind) to I Peter 3:1, "Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives..."  (Emphasis mine)

I think the same principle applies.  And I've used this verse so often in counseling women in difficult marriages.  (This verse doesn't say if the husbands are unbelievers...but if they don't believe the truth of the Word in some way.) 

DON'T TALK!  I can promise you that if you're in a difficult relationship and you haven't applied this verse, you've probably nagged, preached, argued, belabored the point you want to make with your husband.  How's that workin' for ya?  (As Dr. Phil would say.)  Why not try this?  Silence.  Not the cold shoulder....but just be quiet.  Don't preach.  Don't nag.  Don't try to convince.  As loud as you've been talking, your husband can't hear God.  But there's something else at work here.  In your silence, your enemy (Satan) becomes intimidated.  He becomes convinced.  Don't believe me?  Philippians 1:28, "And do not [for a moment] be frightened or intimidated in anything by your opponents and adversaries, for such [constancy and fearlessness] will be a clear sign (proof and seal) to them of [their impending] destruction, but [a sure token and evidence] of your deliverance and salvation, and that from God."

And the walls will fall.

I had a great illustration of this last Wednesday.  Ryan & Addie (6 & 4-years-old---David's kids) were at my house and had watched Ice Age.  They wanted to playact afterwards and they were the "wild cat."  (I can't remember what it actually was)  They wanted me to be fearful of them when they attacked me.  After about 10 minutes of this, I decided to turn the tables.  They were both coming at me and I stood up and ROARED!  They both had startled looks on their faces and froze.  (Those looks were priceless)  They weren't sure what to do.  So I ROARED again!  They were convinced and  turned and ran!  David had been loading the car and came in asking, "What in the world is going on?"  (I was pretty loud!!) 

But it instantly came to me that when we become fearless, it throws the enemy off.  You can't get in this position as a wife without submitting to God first.  Then you have to trust.  You have to believe God means what He says.  His Word works.  Try it--and let me know how it works for you!  At times, do you feel like you're going around that same ol' mountain?  You are!  But be quiet as you march.  Those walls are going to fall.  It may take time...but on the 7th day and 7th time around, they will fall...while you're roaring!

No comments: