Monday, April 19, 2010

Murmuring



Say it with me:  Murrr-mur.  I can hear Ricky Griffin talking about this in my head as I write it.  Murmur sounds just like what it means when you say it:  murrr-mur.

That's what the children of Israel did in the wilderness.  They murmured and complained.  They complained about:  They thought they had been brought to the wilderness to die...The Egyptians were coming upon them as they were at the Red Sea...The water was bad...They didn't have food to eat...They didn't have water to drink.  Mur-Mur.

I've been reminded of how much we murmur as I read comments on facebook.  There's too much snow.  There's too much rain.  It's too hot.  It's too cold.  My kids are driving me crazy.  (Ok..I won't be too hard on that one!)  I don't like Mondays.  I don't like school.  I can't sleep.  I woke up too early. (That one was me.)  It's going to be a long night.   (Do you see anything on our list as urgent as the Egyptians being upon us?)

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the point.  I'm as guilty as any.  But God got my attention when the weather changed.  You'd think we were made of sugar the way everyone complained about the rain.  Or you'd think we were never going to have sunshine again.  God must get sick of our murmuring!  Can you imagine trying to please everyone?  I, for one, absolutely love the snow.  But I realize I have children and friends who love the sun.  I think we need to praise God for each---recognizing He may have sent it just to bless someone else.

Ok, God.  I want to quit my murmuring and exchange it for a garment of praise.  How's that?

1 comment:

Sandi C said...

Woo Hoo Love it Becky! I agree I want to quit my murmuring and exhange it for a garmet of praise!!!