Monday, February 16, 2009

Where have you pitched your tent?

"...and Lot dwelled in the cities of the plain, and pitched his tent toward Sodom." Genesis 13:12

Thank you to all who have missed me! I'm back!
Mr. Gib & I had this discussion last week---about Lot pitching his tent toward Sodom. I've been thinking, meditating and dwelling on this thought for a week. And I'm ready to share my wisdom with you. (Surely you know I'm just kidding!)

The earlier verses tell how Abram gave Lot the choice of the land---they were parting ways because their flocks had grown so large that their servants were fighting over watering holes. So Lot chose the Jordon valley because it was like the Garden of Eden. And then he pitched his tents by Sodom. And the rest is history.
Don't you think Lot regretted that decision? Do you think his decision was made out of greed? Mr. Gib pointed out that he'd heard a preacher say Lot was a righteous man, so maybe we shouldn't be so hard on him. And that is found in II Peter 2:7-8, "And He rescued righteous Lot, greatly worn out and distressed by the wanton ways of the ungodly and lawless--For that just man, living [there] among them, tortured his righteous soul every day with what he saw and heard of [their] unlawful and wicked deeds."
Why did he stay in Sodom? Why put up with those wanton ways? I contend it had to do with one woman---his wife. Maybe she was materialistic--and she had it all in Sodom. Maybe she lived on the edge and enjoyed those wanton ways. Maybe she thought that cute young man was perfect for her daughter. And maybe it was because she just got comfortable there. But the reason I think it had to do with that one woman is because she was the one who looked back and turned into a pillar of salt as a result. And why a pillar of salt? Maybe because she was supposed to be the salt of the earth while she lived--and wasn't--so God was making a point. And maybe you have a better idea. (I don't think we realize what power we have as women in our husband's lives...or maybe we do!)
I guess my point in thinking on this (and maybe overthinking!) is this: I don't want to live life on the edge in Sodom. I don't even want to pitch my tent towards Sodom. Because I know I could get very comfortable there. And I also don't want to live with a tortured soul.
And just maybe we're already living in Sodom. There are some pretty wanton ways, ungodlessness and lawlessness around us---and I think it's only going to get worse. If we are...is our soul tortured? How can we be salt by choice instead of by the hand of God?
And if you want a good laugh, go here to hear about pitching your tents!

2 comments:

Julie Simmons said...

OMG, that completely made my day!!!!!!! I mean, I'm sure the gravity of the "Sodom" message will eventually sink in, but right now I am Laughing Out Loud!!!! I can't wait until Jody gets home so I can show him! The look on that guy's face once he realizes what he just said is PRICELESS! hahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Thanks Becky, that was very thought provoking! We wives DO have a large amount of influence!

Your comment about already living in Sodom reminded me of a DVD I watched a few months ago. Unfortunately I don't know for sure if I remember the name of it but I think it was "Time Changer" or something like that. I got it thru Netflix. In it these Bible scholars were debating the issue of teaching morals without acknowledging Jesus. Anyway, this guy travels into the future 200 years and sees the results of teaching morals without Jesus. It really brought out how our society has become desensitized. Even the church has allowed 'stuff' to creep in!

I definately recommend the DVD if anyone is able to find it with the tiny bit of info I was able to provide!