Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Challenge

I was asked to come speak to our local private Christian school recently. Actually, it was the weekend that Jay & Amy were in town...February 6, to be exact. I was asked to speak on ministry---not necessarily about Living Water---but I was asked to encourage their students to get involved in ministry. I thought and prayed on what to do. I'm a very visual person and I think students respond to something they can see and "get." And I know God gave me this idea---I can take no credit!

First, I asked how many of them were rich. One teacher raised her hand. Then I had 5 students come up and help me. I handed 4 students signs that had names of countries: China, Africa, Mexico & United States. These represented countries who had hungry people. Then I had 1 student hold the Borger sign....the sign of wealth. I told them that just because they went to a private school in Borger, many people even in Borger looked upon them as wealthy! I gave the 4 students part of an orange and I gave the Borger student a large plate of a huge breakfast. Then I went back and took parts of the orange away from some of the hungry countries and gave it to the Borger student and told them I had to redistribute the wealth because they had too much. I told them there are hungry people out there and we have so much. I pointed out that I never told the Borger student he couldn't share his food---but he didn't.


Then I gave them a bunch of statistics. Did you know that 40% of the world lives on $1/day or less? And 80% of the world lives on less than $10/day. 26,500-30,000 children die each day due to poverty. And over 1/2 of the children in the world live in poverty. The world's richest (which is 20% of the world) consume 76.6% of the world's resources. The world's poorest (10% of the world) consume .5% of the world's resources. And globally, $35 billion a year is spent just on entertainment--and 17 billion on pet food!


Living Water then gave each student and each teacher $1.00 (which only cost me $32.00). I told them I knew it wasn't much, but it was what 40% of the world lived on. And then I quickly reminded them of the story of the talents---how God gave a different amount to each and expected a return. I divided them into groups and asked them to talk it out, pray, and ask God how they could make a profit with that $1.00 and return it to Living Water.


I walked out of there so excited!! The kids had gotten it!!!! And there was a buzz in that room as the kids began discussing what they could do to increase it. Well....yesterday, the first group brought in their increase. They had written a letter telling what they were doing and began going door-to-door and telling people that they had matched the $1.00 themselves and asked them to also match the $1.00. They brought in $38.85! (Already more than Living Water gave out to begin with!) I thought their idea was pretty creative. And it was exciting to see the lesson they learned of what could happen when they started with only one dollar--how God could increase it and use it for His kingdom.


So I just had to share this story and post the picture they took yesterday as they presented their gift to Living Water.

8 comments:

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

COOL!!

Anonymous said...

That was really neat! Who knows how much more 'fruit' will come from that talk! Isn't it great when God uses us!

Anonymous said...

Help! I know a lot of people follow this blog of Becky's and seeing how Tamra is having 'blog-block' issues, lol, who knows how long it might be before she found a message on her blog! lol I need to get in contact with Kyle, work related. If anyone has their phone # would you e-mail it to me or call Tamra and ask her to e-mail me?! I would appreciate it!

Sewn Together said...

I can't wait to read about more fruit! I love to see how God is using you and these students.

TheShermanFam said...

That is SOOOOOOOO awesome!! What a GREAT, GREAT challenge! I can't wait to see what the other groups do.

Sandra said...

Mom had told me about your challenge. It's so great to hear that the kids understood and followed through. It will be fun to hear what the other groups do!

Lissa Anglin said...

Cool- what a great example.

Kara said...

What an awesome idea!