Friday, February 27, 2009

Gib's Aha Moment

This morning during our prayer time at Living Water, Gib shared his aha moment he had at 3:30 this morning. He said he'd started writing a new sermon about living the abundant life. He hadn't finished it, because he wasn't sure where he was going with it. But at 3:30, God began showing him.
He said he'd read John 2:23-24 which says, "Because of the miraculous signs Jesus did in Jerusalem at the Passover celebration, many began to trust in him. But Jesus didn’t trust them, because he knew human nature." What God showed him through this was that some people say they trust in God, but God doesn't commit Himself to them because he knows their hearts are not sincere. And he said that there's no real relationship if both sides aren't committed. And then a verse came to his mind: "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." He said it came to him that when we commit ourselves to Christ---it's giving him everything. It's giving up our life to allow him to live his life through us. That's when he commits himself to us! Gib said, "I get it! I'm 80 years old, but I finally GET IT!"
His aha moment became my aha moment. Since marriage was so fresh on my mind, I told him, "That's why our marriages are a picture of Christ & the church. We both have to make that commitment. It's no marriage if there's a half-way commitment---it's all or nothing." And then I asked the guys who were a part of that conversation, "Don't you hate watching a marriage where the wife won't submit, is rebellious, talks disrespectfully about/to her husband in public, etc.? Heads were nodding. (Feeling my own swift kick in the pants here!) She's living for herself--not in unity or for the good of the marriage. That's what we are when we don't submit to Christ---when we try to be committed without giving him everything." What a difference when we let him live HIS life through us.
The longer I live and the more I understand, I think the Christian life can be summed up in one word: submission. And Satan sure doesn't want us to get it, does he?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is that "S" word again! Why is it just so hard to hear/read, let alone do???