Friday, February 26, 2010

A Century Turns; New Hopes, New Fears by William J. Bennett


Why read a "history" book about the last 20 years? I mean...we lived them, right? Well, I did live the past 20 years, but to see it in print from the perspective of a conservative person involved in politics was a little more than enlightening. In fact, there were some things from the past 20 years that I'd totally forgotten.
This book is a very concise and factual volume that would be excellent for anyone. But as I read it, I kept thinking what a great resource it would be for high school or college kids needing a reference for the time period between 1988-2008. Not only does Mr. Bennett include things like the Colombine shootings, the creation of the internet, President Clinton's impeachment and 9/11, but he also gives personal insights to those incidents. I personally loved his own observations in the footnotes.
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. Even if you were an adult during 1988-2008, you're going to learn a lot from reading this book. William J. Bennett's birds-eye-view over the past 20 years left me a little sad over the loss of morals and values in our country and prayerful for our future. I highly recommend A Century Turns.
This book was considerately provided by BookSneeze of Thomas Nelson Publishers for my review. All opinions are very much my own.

No comments: