Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My First Lent


I've never celebrated Lent until this year. My only recollection of Lent was seeing some of my Catholic friends wearing ashes on their foreheads and hearing them tell about giving something up that they really liked for Lent. That's all I really understood about it and thought it a purely Catholic thing.
I've studied on it some recently and learned that Lent begins 40 days before Easter and is a season of soul-searching and repentance (which we could all use, right?). It's a picture of when Jesus withdrew for 40 days into the wilderness where he fasted and was then tempted by Satan. It's to be a time of solemnity and introspection that leads up to the great celebration of Jesus' resurrection!
I also learned in my reading that the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday (when Lent begins) is Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday. And I'm sure there's nothing spiritual about that--it's a sign our flesh wants to indulge knowing that we're about to do without something for 40 days! Pure indulgence...
I thought and thought about what to give up for my first Lent. I was leaning towards all things technical (like Benjamin), but I finally decided that if I wanted to kill my flesh, I needed to give up a critical tongue. That's the kind of fast God is looking for from me.
Well, if Lent is all about repentance, I'm right on track. I've learned I can't go one week without a critical tongue. I've learned I can't do this without God's help. I repent!!
I've never looked forward to Resurrection Sunday with more anticipation!

4 comments:

amy wright said...

haha...so that you can criticize or so that you can celebrate?

Becky Dietz said...

NO!! So I can celebrate the resurrection---the resurrection power I need in my life!!

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

Amy, I thought the same thing, so when I saw your comment, I died laughing!!

NonModern said...

Fat Tuesday is called Fasching here. They are bigger on it than Lent of course. Basically, you get everything out of your system before symbolically giving it up for 40 days. Jelly Donuts (Berliners) are the big thing leading up to Lent. Man, now I could really use a Jelly Donut...