Monday, February 8, 2010

Debt

I'm no stranger to debt. I've had it most of my adult life. And I haven't always been a good manager of money. But it's something I've learned---a journey God has taken me on. In fact, I now manage thousands of dollars each month for a ministry. All of that to say, I'm not a financial wizard. But I do think I'm reading some signs in our nation.

I'm sure you realize that the United States of America is not mentioned in the last days in the Bible. I used to wonder what the big deal was. I mean, Australia isn't mentioned either! But...the reason it's so important is that something must happen that we are no longer a world-player politically. We lose our power.

I love Bible prophecy. I don't understand all of it, but I love to study it and compare it to world events to see where we are on the timeline of Jesus' return. And I think it's soon. And I'm guessing the way America will lose it's power is through financial collapse. Of course, there are any number of ways it could happen--terrorism, nuclear holocaust, natural disaster, civil war--and the list goes on and on. But it just makes sense that it will be economic collapse because of the shape we're in now. Isn't there a verse that says, "the borrower is servant to the lender?" Look at who we owe. China. Japan. All it would take is for those countries to call in our debt.

It actually makes me mad when someone comes to Living Water needing help with a bill and they have the bill in their child's name. (A minor) I refuse to help them until they get the bill in their own name. Usually what it means is that they've ruined their credit, so they've opened an account in their child's name. Or they closed an account owing money, so they opened another in their child's name. Either way, those kids' credit is ruined before they're ever old enough to need credit! America has done the same thing. They've opened accounts in their children's names---accounts our children/grandchildren will have to pay. They'll have to pay for it financially---or through ruin. And that makes me mad, too.

I'm just guessing. But we need to be prepared. Something is going to happen to cause America's power loss.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

People actually do that?! That is sick!

Rachel said...

The Lord has placed the debt conviction on our hearts and now with gazelle intensity (a Dave Ramsey term) we are blowing out the debt. I have noticed the direction our country is going in and personally all systems need to be in check. One world money is coming quickly. Before other countries call in our debt our own government might call in their citizens debt. It's about to get ugly.