Friday, November 21, 2008

Thanksgiving at Living Water

Today was Turkey Day at Living Water. It was so much fun!! We had 135 people show up to get groceries---114 families. Plus we also supplied groceries for 16 shut-ins that HutchCares delivered to them. Here are some pictures of our morning. My nephew, Aaron, helped take pictures. My sister, Sandra, brought Aaron & Benjamin to come help today. Aaron said it was better than school!


George offered to go to United Supermarket to pick up the turkeys for us. Here he is with his trailer unloading 150 turkeys that friends purchased for us. Vance is helping.


Here, George, Gib, David, Richard & Charles are bringing turkeys into our food room.


We had over 280 Bags of Blessings---for Thanksgiving & Christmas--supplied by our churches. These bags include all the extra "fixin's" for a great holiday meal.


People began lining up by 7:30--in the cold--to receive groceries. Our doors didn't open until 9:00!! This little beauty was all wrapped up to stay warm. It was cold out there!!


You can see the line snaking around the perimeter of the room as the chairs begin filling up. It was standing room only today!


People settle in for the fun. You can see our Christmas tree in the back. (And no...I don't have my own tree set up at home!) The people on the right are taking freebies off of our freebie shelf.


I'm giving instructions and leading a time of Thanksgiving and Prayer.


Matt & Sheri Cox led our worship time. So much fun. A little girl was dancing as we sang.


Andy preached for the day. He talked about Nicodemus and that we must be born again! Two people prayed to receive Christ. A good day.
OH! And believe it or not, we had room for those extra turkeys in our freezer!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome!!

Sandra said...

Aaron had so much fun! I don't know which man was encouraging him, but if you know - thank him for me! Aaron asked if you did this at Christmas because he wants to come and help again.

Sewn Together said...

Holly already said exactly my thoughts - awesome!! What a great day!

Julie Simmons said...

I have always been so interested in Living Water and have heard from Linda how it's grown over the years. When we are in Borger for Christmas, probably the week before Christmas, I would LOVE to bring my kids out to see the place and possibly volunteer if you have any work to do. We like to do things like this during the holidays and haven't really found an avenue for this in our new town yet. What an awesome ministry...missions in your backyard! Love it!

TheShermanFam said...

Looks like you guys had a GREAT day!! I'm so sad I missed it!
I don't think I have ever seen that many people packed in there!! AWESOME indeed!
You do such an awesome job at LW, Becky! I am so thankful for your passion and your heart for this ministry! WOO-HOO!!!

Kara said...

Oh WOW!! I'm speechless. What an awesome turnout and an awesome ministry. What a blessing to each of those families. Thank you for sharing.