Monday, November 3, 2008

How do you hear God?

Terry, I keep thinking about you taking us outside of your cabin at Cuchara to listen to.....the silence! (And boy!--was it silent!!) I've been trying to discipline myself since then to sit in silence every once in awhile! It's a hard thing to do.
I've talked before on my blog about the verse in Psalm 46:10, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." The Amplified says, "Let be and be still, and know (recognize and understand) that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations! I will be exalted in the earth!"
I think this verse does mean we need to get still---besides meaning we need to let go of some things when we do get still. That's part of the "stillness." That's also "striving for God's rest." (Hebrews 4:11, Amplified)
When you get still, how do you hear God? I'm just interested.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering that very thing myself....

TheShermanFam said...

Well...I actually am still A LOT, when Bryson naps. I like to sit in silence, on the couch and just be still for a bit. For me, it's not so much what I hear, but more what I feel. Does that make sense?

Mrs. Piehl said...

I've been doing a lot of this the past week. I'm still fasting and listening to what He wants me to do, especially after the retreat. I will let you know what I hear.

Lindsey said...

I don't hear so much in silence as I do when I pray. Maybe I'm just not still enough. Or, maybe I'm just not listening enough when I am still...

Becky Dietz said...

Hey! TV screens were pretty small back then. I was a good mom. I didn't make you scoot too far back because you couldn't have seen it! HA!