Friday, October 1, 2010

Sixteen Brides by Stephanie Grace Whitson


This is one of the books I took with me to Red River to read on our trip.  It was a fun book to read.  Of course, I've always heard of Mail-Order Brides of the 1800's, but never stopped to consider there were men who totally took advantage of some of those women and their situations.

That's the premise of this book.  One swindler takes advantage of these women--mostly widows--promising them claims of land in the West but actually has plans to make money by bringing brides to men who've been in the West for some time.  I agree with my sister who read the same book in that it was hard to keep up with the 16 women, their names and their stories in the beginning, but it soon narrows down to focus on a handful of the women which makes the story move along better.  You wanted to cheer them on for their unity of spirit as they faced great odds in actually laying claim to the homesteads promised them.

I think Stephanie did a great job in telling a story I hadn't even considered before.  The characters she focused on were well-developed and she deals with issues common to women in the 1800's and now.  I recommend this book to you!

I give the book 4 out of 5 stars.  You can become a book reviewer, too!

Thank you to Bethany House Publishing Group for providing this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments: