Tuesday, September 7, 2010

When I'm 64


When we were first married, people would always ask me if Andy sang to me at home.  He sang professionally at the time and I guess they considered that the ultimate in romance.  Yes, he sang to me, but it was the nonsensical songs--not the dreamy-eyed songs.  Things like this Beatles song:

When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

I was 19 and he was 25 when we got married.  I never dreamed at the time we'd ever get close to that age--64!  But tomorrow, Andy turns 60.  That really blows my mind.  Of course, most people don't look at Andy and think "60."  (And they don't look at me and think over 5 years younger!!  Shoot!)  And yet, here we are.  So I thought I'd blog the top 10 things I never expected when we got married (our 35th anniversary is September 27).

#10--Wrinkles, gray hair, age spots (I told my kids this week that no one ever told me that your toes actually wrinkle!  I intend to keep you apprised of the happenings of aging so that you're more prepared.)

#9--Bifocals

#8--Quitting cooking and cleaning  (We haven't quite reached the "cereal for dinner" stage, but almost) 

#7--The thinking "I've paid my dues" stage.  Actually, I might think it occassionally, but I haven't acted on it yet.  You might have to keep me accountable on this one.

#6--Dying parents

#5--Grandchildren (We have 7 with 1 more on the way!!)

#4--Falling asleep in a chair

#3--Snoring

#2--Paying $600/month for medications--and dreaming of medicare!

#1--Children over the age of 6!  (I remember my sister-in-law saying she didn't think she'd have teenagers when Jesus returned.  I never envisioned my children older than 6-years-old!  And now the majority of my grandchildren are older than that!!)

Happy 60th birthday, Andy!!  And yes...I'll still need you...and at least feed you cereal.
 
I love you more than ever!

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Happy Birthday Andy!!!

amy wright said...

Wrinkled toes? Oh no. I've envisioned my kids older than 6 -- as teenagers. And that usually makes me break out in cold sweat. haha

Have a Happy Birthday! I wish I could be there to celebrate with y'all.

Lindsey said...

I'm glad your kids are older than 6, otherwise you'd be a really old mom. ha! Had fun celebrating Andy this weekend! I'm glad he doesn't look (or act) 60. He makes our family so much fun!