Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I cleaned out my cabinet

My clean cabinet

Last night, I'd had it!  I went to make some coffee and opened my cabinet door and things fell out.  It's been bad awhile.  I was tired of trying to scoot things around to make the salt and pepper shakers fit in.  But there were things in there that had to go.  Why hadn't I gotten rid of it before?  I didn't want to be wasteful.  Maybe what sent me over the edge was watching Hoarders right before this happened.  A lady on this particular episode wouldn't throw away the cotton in medicine bottles because she didn't want to be wasteful.  Hmmmm....

So I began tossing.  There was a large container of Folger's Coffee---that we don't even drink.  Surprisingly, it all fit into a canister on my counter.  The Chinese tea was tossed.  Loose leaves?  Who willingly chooses to sift leaves through their teeth?  It was a romantic idea while we were in China, but it had to go.  The honey that had fermented went into the trash can.  And a myriad of unmatching coffee cups and salt & pepper shakers went into a sack to be taken to Living Water.  Then I cleaned all the coffee grounds off of my shelf.  I actually have room left over!!  And it's clean.  And you know what?  It brings peace.  I know that sounds crazy, but order brings peace.  (And I keep wanting to go take a peek!!)

I had no idea I was creating a visual aid for our prayer time this morning.  I love when God does that!  My prayer group has been praying for intimacy.  Intimacy with God, with our spouses, with our families.  We realized today that selfishness (the opposite of intimacy) is like my cluttered cabinet.  When we're demanding our own way and pushing our desires, there's no harmony and no intimacy.  We have to let go for order to come in.  Lies create disorder.  Our own agenda makes a mess of things. 

But when we submit to God, wait on His agenda and fit in with His plan, there's peace, harmony and a breeding ground for intimacy.  That soul peace leads to harmony with our spouses and families.  But we have to give up first.  We have to submit and serve.  Intimacy is a good and lovely thing---something worth looking at!

...I think I'll go take a look at that cabinet again and think about tackling a closet.

3 comments:

amy wright said...

Great analogy. And great photography. :)

Lindsey said...

Yay! Great job! It looks so clean! And great analogy too...maybe this is why I'm so OCD about organization...I want more intimacy?? Something to ponder...

Tammy said...

something for me to ponder on. i am always in such an upheaval if my house is a mess. by a mess it could be that its' a m.e.s.s. or that things just aren't where they are supposed to be and my daughter could vouch for this one closet. i think things literally start multiplying once i clean it out and shut the door... just makes my life feel very unorganized and not peaceful.