Thursday, September 9, 2010

Competition

Have you noticed how many competitions are on television today?  I think it started with American Idol.  And boy--has it grown!!  Not only has it grown, but I've gotten sucked in.  Give me a good competition any day.

In fact, I'd like to join this competition.  I don't know that I'd be very skilled at it, but I'd like to try my smarts in it.  While we were in China this year, Ember & I decided we'd take on Andy & Derek in this race.  We think we could take them!!

This is one of my favorites.  I love watching the white box challenge the most.  And I really loved it when anyone could join---now I think they have to have some design background.

I guess by now, you see which channels I watch the most--HGTV and Food Network!  (Is there anything else on tv that is decent anymore??)  I'd like you to know that I called the winner of this competition the first night this year!

And currently, I'm watching MasterChef.  If you haven't watched it, you can catch it on Hulu.  (And if you don't know about Hulu, you need to check it out!  You can catch all kinds of tv shows and movies on there.)  And oh...I really hope Whitney wins!!!

I'm not sure what all these competitions tell us about our society right now.  What do you think?  I think it's interesting that adults are watching these competitions while we're teaching our children in school that there are no winners, we don't keep score, and everyone takes home a trophy! 

But more importantly, why am I watching?  
And what do you watch? 
(I may need one more competition in my life...)

6 comments:

As We Are said...

Oh goodness, I LOVE LOVE The Amazing Race. It's my dream to be on that show someday :) We only have 4 channels on tv so we are limited. Ha!

amy wright said...

Jay and I are watching Master Chef. I like Whitney, too. That's the only show I'm watching right now, but I did see a commercial that Biggest Loser and The Apprentice are about to come on!!!!
BTW, I'm going to a women's conference thing where Abby from The Biggest Loser is speaking. (It's the only reason I'm going. haha)

Lindsey said...

When I'm at your house, I love Chopped. I wish I could pay for just Food Network and nothing else. I love it!

Lissa Anglin said...

I saw a tweet the other day from Mark Driscoll that said that 10 years ago 3 reality television shows existed...now there are over 300!

Becky Dietz said...

Tamra---let's get on the show at the same time!!

Amy--Biggest Loser comes on at the same time as something else I watch. So I only get snippets of it. And I completely forgot about Apprentice!!

Lindsey--CHOPPED! How could I forget?? I LOVE that show!

Lissa--Seriously???? 300 reality shows? That's amazing.

Anonymous said...

I like to watch PBS documentaries (in addition Master Chef). I'm finally owning my nerd-dom.