Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cure to Boredom


Do you get bored?  When my kids were growing up, if they ever said that they were bored, Andy would say, "You only get bored if you're boring."  I would say, "Oh you're bored?  Chore time!"  Either way, it kept them from coming to us often with that phrase.

But I have to confess that I do get bored.  I've learned that I love challenges.  But once I conquer that challenge, I'm ready for a new one.  In fact, "that feeling" creeps over me and I start looking for something new.

God has been whispering to my heart about this problem in my life.  And I'm going to tell you what I believe.  (Like you thought I wouldn't!)  I believe it's because I've pursued my goals...and reached them...that I get bored.

Jesus gave us the cure to boredom in John 5:19-20.  "So Jesus answered them by saying, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, the Son is able to do nothing of Himself (of His own accord); but He is able to do only what He sees the Father doing, for whatever the Father does is what the Son does in the same way [in His turn].The Father dearly loves the Son and discloses to (shows) Him everything that He Himself does. And He will disclose to Him (let Him see) greater things yet than these, so that you may marvel and be full of wonder and astonishment."  (God created the first "Take Your Child to Work" program.  heh-heh)

If we're self-seeking, we'll eventually run dry or burn out.  We'll get bored.  But...if we wake up each day and ask the Father, "What is YOUR plan for this day?  I want to do what You're doing!," we'll never be bored.  Why can't I get it?  This life is not about me!!  (A great blog I read about this)  It's about God.  It's His plan.  And He's so creative that He never runs out of new ideas.

I wouldn't tell you something I haven't tried.  I woke up yesterday (yep, got a lot of experience under my belt! ehhhh....) and fixed my focus on God and His plan.  I went to my same ol' job with a new spirit...an expectant spirit.  And I'll do the same today.  I want to see what God wants to do.  And I'll do what He's doing.   I bet I won't be bored.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

love your new page too. thanks Becky, i have lived that life too, where it was how i thought i should by others standards, not by how i wanted to. i am 51 and i am done! (well i hope so any ways hahahahahahahahahahahhaha)