Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Least Among You


The year is 1965, the place is an all-white seminary, and the main character, Richard Kelly (Cedric Sanders),  is a young black man on probation.  He's sent to seminary for 2 semesters as part of his probation....by his mother's recommendation.  It's a movie inspired by a true story.  And it actually contains all of the angst that happened during that time-frame.  Richard Kelly is angry.  But Samuel Benton (Louis Gossett, Jr), the school's handyman and gardener, guides young Richard to truth.  A professor, Kate Allison (Lauren Holly), at the seminary was a former missionary in The Congo.  The president of the seminary encourages Kate to help Richard deal with a hostile culture since she should have an understanding because of her past experiences.  Each person is dealing with their own pain and understanding of truth through the movie.  The acting is superb and it is a very well-made movie.  I'm not sure if I received an edited version, but it appeared that some language may have been used that was edited out.

I was actually 10-years-old in 1965...but even at that young age (and being white), I knew about racism.  Since that time, I've come to understand why there was so much anger, but this movie brings even more understanding.  And I believe it accurately portrays the feelings on all sides.  There were those who were actively racists...those who wanted to extend love to other races...and those who were persecuted.  But  you just don't expect to find it in a seminary or religious setting.    

I highly recommend this movie.  I give it a 5 out of 5 stars.  

Thank you to Book Sneeze for providing this movie for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Sounds good. I still have a book to read and review from Thomas Nelson - wish I could have gotten the other movie!!

Lindsey said...

Hey, can we borrow that from you?