Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Veteran's Day


Veteran's Day isn't just a date on the calendar to me. It's faces. Faces of men and women who have sacrificed for my freedoms...and not just my freedoms, but what 90% of the world would consider a life of luxury. Those faces include people like my dad, Lindon Sanders, who served in the Navy and my father-in-law, Bob Dietz, who served in China-Burma-India during WWII. I think of Herman Mos who also served in that war. Jodie Brock is one of those brave men who fought in the Korean War. And there were people of my generation like George Nies who went to Vietnam and fought valiantly. But they didn't come home to flags flying and pats on the back...and that still grieves me. And I see a young man named Jim Clark who enlisted after the attacks of 9-11 and fought for his country--and his family--in Iraq. No, Veteran's Day isn't a date on the calendar. It's a slideshow in my mind of faces. Faces of people who were willing to sacrifice so much for so many. And I personally want to thank each and every one of them---they make me proud to be an American!

No comments: