Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Candlelight Dinner in Prison


Imagine being in prison and being offered fine clothing and a candlelight dinner with all of your favorite foods.  Just think about that for a minute.  Would you feel better about your circumstances?

Jehoiachin had been carried away captive from Judah to Babylon and put in prison.  But the Babylonian king brought him up out of prison, gave him a seat above the other kings in prison, gave him fine clothing, allowed him to dine at the king's table, and gave him an allowance the rest of his life.  (You can find all of this in Jeremiah 52:31-34.)

I've read of people in concentration camps during WWII who were given privileges during their internment.  It did relieve the strain of prison life.  So I'm sure Jehoiachin was appeased in much the same way.  But no matter what...you're still in prison.

As I read this portion of scripture years ago, this story leaped off the pages and reminded me of my own life.  I was in a prison of fear and the enemy was offering me position, clothes, food--and even an allowance--to stay there.

But one day, I had a vision.  I was sitting in a prison cell with unlocked shackles on my hands and legs and the prison door was wide open.  All I had to do was get up and walk out!  When Jesus died on the cross, those prison doors were opened.  The curse was broken.  And once I accepted Christ as my savior, that finished work was mine.  But I had to appropriate it.  I could spiritually possess freedom...but I had to physically, emotionally, and mentally choose to step out of that prison cell.

Are you in a prison?  The enemy would want you to think there's no way out.  He's offering you the world to stay right where you are.  You can accept his pittance...or you can choose to step out and receive the inheritance that is rightfully yours.  You may be in a prison of fear (like I was), anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, lust....or any number of things.  But there is a way out.  Knowing the truth sets you free.  God is offering you abundant life and He's already bought your freedom.  Believe it today and step out of that prison!

You can have a candlelight dinner in prison...but you're still in captivity.


No comments: