Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Blindspots



Blindspots. We all have them.  We look in the mirror and think we're seeing clearly.  When there's clearly a truck coming--which we can't see without help.  It takes a wide angle mirror or turning around to actually see what is there in truth.

Truth.  We all need it.  I can remember a time in my early 20's when I thought I was always right.  God quickly dispelled that nonsense by giving me a clear and true picture of myself in a dream.  (Wow!  If it hadn't been from God, I would have called it a nightmare.)  But even though I know  that I'm not always right, I can still have an over-inflated view of myself and my position on issues.  I'm learning to approach differences with others with a few questions of myself.  Like...

  • What is truth?
  • Why do I feel so strongly about this issue?
  • Is this issue more important than this relationship?
  • Do I press this point because it is truth?
  • Am I God's spokesman in this situation...or do I just want to be right?
  • Am I extending grace?
God doesn't need me.  Thankfully, He allows me to be a part of His plan at times.  And even though I have a strong sense of justice, right & wrong, and truth...I know it's not enough.  Paul instructed us to grow up, become mature.  And part of that maturity involves speaking the truth in love.  Truth without love is harsh.  Love without truth is weak.  The perfect combination we should all seek is truth in love.

"Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth. Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love."
Ephesians 4:14-16

No comments: