Friday, December 2, 2011

My Heart Must be Growing

Do you remember how much your legs would hurt when they were growing?  I actually remember that.  And more recently, I remember how my kids (and now grandkids) would complain over hurting/growing legs.

Well, I believe my heart must be growing...because it really, really hurts.  I've opened more emails, blogs, and facebook posts about people from third-world countries lately.  I've read lots of parents' perspectives and sagas on adoptions from those countries.  I've read missionaries' experiences on the field and their frustrations over the governments dragging their feet over getting these babies into the arms where they need to be.  And it's making my heart hurt.

I could tell you that God might be preparing me to grandparent Hadassah, but I think it's bigger than that.  I'm not sure what He's up to--except expanding my heart in love.  And moving me to do more for people who are suffering.  Just like these women in Ethiopia who've made the bracelets I'm selling.  I can't get them out of my mind.  They're suffering!  And I'm comfortable.  They have very little to eat and may be crying at night because their children are going hungry.  And my fridge is full.

I've read stories of parents going to get their adopted children in these other countries and being overwhelmed by such a great need of hundreds (thousands) of orphans and little beggars on the streets.

God, my heart is hurting...but please keep growing it.  And show me my part.

4 comments:

Ronnie said...

Those "growing" pains are so hard and yet so wonderful! Just as Joel shared this morning, we are finding ourselves NEEDING to GIVE!!! Seriously, more than any other year - this year we are constantly thinking of how we can give to others and help others. It hurts so bad when we can't give! Praying for you as you continually seek what/where he is growing your heart for!

amy wright said...

Love you. I wish you could go to ET with us!

Becky Dietz said...

Ronnie--his sermon spoke to my heart. Even tonight, I asked God if I could give more..and more...and more!

Amy--Gosh! Me, too!!!!

As We Are said...

I hear ya Becky. I feel the exact same way!!