Sunday, December 11, 2011

NUTCRACKER!

Every year we get to go to Nutcracker...because we have granddaughters, Caitlin & Alexis,  performing in it!!  They did an outstanding job this year, as always.  I told their mother, Lisa, that it was fun watching it and seeing all of the parts they've played (from the lamb to the Peddlar or Dancing Bear Trainer) and how much they've grown.  Tonight, Caitlin was the Peddlar and the girl with the Chinese parasol and Alexis was the Swiss doll.  And they were beautiful.  I kept procrastinating over getting tickets because I wasn't sure with the Wright kids here when we could go and what would be the best time.  I was all set to call the David Dietz family and see if we could coordinate logistics when we got word that Lindsey's grandmother died.  Of course, they immediately left to be with family in Brownwood...and offered us their tickets they had preplanned, prearranged and basically pre-thought...and I had not.  I did eventually call and switch their 6:00 tickets for the 2:00 performance.  I wasn't sure we could all last getting home around 9:00 tonight.  Plus...Andy was able go at 2--and not at 6.  We kept it a secret that we were going!  (I do remember some of the important things from being a mom--like keeping secrets so they don't ask you 50x about it!)  Today was going to be a full day.  We went to church and had planned on taking the Ethiopian girls (attending FPC) to lunch.  When Andy went to find them after church, he discovered they had forgotten and were planning on eating lunch with the Rusten's.  Being people with a heart of gold, the Rusten's invited us to come on over and join them...and we did!  (This blog is becoming much longer than I anticipated.)  

We had an amazing time visiting with Hannah and Mehlat and learned several new things about Ethiopia.  They were pretty impressed with how much the Wright kids already knew about their country---and that they had eaten and LIKED Ethiopian food!  (Which they really miss, by the way.)  We learned that Christians there do not eat with forks, spoons or knives--just their hands.  They are beautiful girls and they fell in love with the Wright kids.  During lunch, Layne let it slip that we were going to Nutcracker!  It was priceless!!!  The boys' eyes lit up while Laynie's face turned red---she didn't know it was going to be a surprise.  But we were only minutes from telling them--and tried to convince her it was no big deal!  The kids were so excited to find out we were going to see their cousins perform.  So...

Here we are, sitting pretty, and waiting on the performance to begin.  We were texting with Caitlin and Alexis to let them know we were there and we got a surprise visit from them at intermission!

Here is Olivia with Alexis....aka Swiss Doll.

I have to tell you that the Wright kids were spellbound during the first half of the performance.  The sets and costumes are pretty spectacular!  But I was about to cry because I was laughing so hard during the second half of the performance.  Olivia was sitting in my lap and was "performing" with the ballerinas.  She was using my arms and swaying all over the place.  Josiah was "sitting" next to me with his hands braced on the arms of the chair and lifting himself above the chair and swinging over the empty (thank goodness!) chair in front of him.  He was singing along with the music the orchestra was playing (on key, I might add.)   I looked to my left, and Andy was directing the orchestra along with the conductor. Amy...I think I know where those genes come from!  (Lindsey!  Where were you????)

We talked the cousins into standing in front of the Christmas trees and taking their picture.

This photo was taken about 5 minutes after we left the Nutcracker.  But as I thought about it, I hadn't heard a peep out of her after we buckled her in! ha!  I just happened to turn and see this and made Andy snap the picture--since I was driving.

And this was 10 minutes after leaving the Nutcracker.  The reason this picture cracks me up is because this is a Sanders mouth position.  My dad did this when he was relaxed.  And I didn't even realize I did it until Amy pointed it out.  And Amy does it.  And now Livie.  I love that all of these great genes live on!  

I'd say Nutcracker was a HUGE success!  Everyone had their favorite part.  (Oh yeah...Liv was awake long enough to tell us her favorite part.  So she probably lasted a minute at least!)  As we got home, Isaac asked, "Gee, how long has it been since we left home this morning?"  
"Eight hours, Isaac.  Eight fun-filled, adventure-packed, amazing hours."

3 comments:

Jean said...

What a fabulous day! I'm positive the kids enjoyed every minute(the pics tell the story)! The Ethiopian girls are beautiful! Thanks for the info on the Sanders' genes. I bet all sleep well tonight.

Becky Dietz said...

HAHA, Jean! Sanders & DIETZ genes, for sure!! And I'm sure you see the Wright/Skaggs genes, too. It's amazing, isn't it? The kids were out like a light. I just hope I don't send them home worn out...or maybe I should since Mom & Dad will be jet lagged!

Ronnie said...

What a fun day you all had!!! Love that they enjoyed the Nutcracker - Kestra was very envious that you got to go! She REALLY wants to see it - must make that a priority next year! Enjoy the Wright kids this week!