Saturday, December 17, 2011

Meet Me at the Altar

This morning, I was reading Exodus 29--the chapter where God gives Moses instructions on how to set apart Aaron and his sons as priests.  They were to come in their priestly garments and offer a bull, 2 rams, bread and 2 lambs and offer them as sacrifices on the altar.  They were to offer it as a continual offering throughout the generations at the door of the Tent of Meeting...and God would meet them there.


Not only would He meet them there, He would speak to them there.  Not only would He speak to them...His Shekinah glory (God's visible presence) would cover them.  And then He said, "And I will dwell among the Israelites and be their God.  And they shall know [from personal experience] that I am the Lord their God, Who brought them forth out of the land of Egypt that I might dwell among them; I am the Lord their God."


As I read this, I wondered, "Does the same thing happen when we sacrifice our flesh?"   After all, we are a "royal priesthood."  Or does it happen if we offer a sacrifice of praise?


God keeps revealing how much of my flesh there is to still offer--and kill--on His altar.  I hate when it's uncovered--it's so...messy!  But I think I'll change my attitude.  I think I'll begin thanking Him for revealing it and then offer it as a sacrifice and then...wait.  Wait for Him to come, wait to hear His voice, wait to be covered with His presence, and wait to know He is God.

No comments: