Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Overindulgence

Do you see signs of overindulgence around you?  I have and it's been pricking my conscience--big time!  I was reading a Hatian missionary's blog last night and an article she posted quoted this verse:  "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy."  Ezekiel 16:49

Didn't you think Sodom's sin was homosexuality?  Nope.  Pride, excess of food, prosperous ease and not aiding the poor and needy.  Wow.

These are some things that have stood out to me this week as I watched some tv.  The new show, "Selling New York" on HGTV.  Have you seen it?  I've only watched it a couple of times--because the opulence bothered me.  (I couldn't find the most overindulgent photos!)


And then there's the new advertisement for Storage Pods.



The ad is trying to convince us to rent a storage pod for all of our things.  We can store a room in a pod, tuck it away in their climate-controlled storage building and then they can move it to a new location across the country--if and when we move.  Do you have anything in storage?  Can you tell me what is in there?  I stored things for years after we moved to Borger and by the time I moved it out of there, I realized how much JUNK I'd been paying hundreds of dollars to store.  

And then I see pictures like this from another missionary's blog and realize where my money should go:



Or this from Joel Rosenberg's blog on helping Israel and it's neighbors:


I think these things may just be a little more important than this:


"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy."  Ezekiel 16:49

I guess the question is....What am I going to do about it?  I think I'd like to try and see how little I can live on and how much I can give away.

1 comment:

As We Are said...

Oh gosh Becky, this has so been on my heart lately as well! Thank you for encouraging us in this.