Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Opportunity's Coming!

I don't know if you're like me, but I find it hard to find my place in the midst of the political turmoil of our day.  Do we, as Christians, speak out?  Do we just love and pray?  What is my position?  I've honestly meditated on this for months and felt like I was just grasping for my place in it all.  And in the meantime, I emailed my senators and congressmen over issues that concerned me.  I figured that was the least I could do.  I believe with all of my heart that we are on a preordained path.  God has a plan for these days---and it's going to happen.  I just need to know my role.

This is the conclusion I've come to:  I am to be alert.  Not daydreaming.  Not so busy with life that I'm not aware.  Not involved in the wrong things.  And certainly not deceived!

My favorite Bible story of all time is Esther.  That story resonated in my heart when I was a child.  I felt like God was speaking to me the same infamous words Mordecai spoke to Esther:  "And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

This morning, I was reading Luke 21.  In this chapter, Jesus is warning that a time will come when we will be hated by all nations for his name's sake.  And we  will be handed over to authorities by our own families.  And then this verse:  "This will be a time (an opportunity) for you to bear testimony."  I don't know if you've noticed...but I think that time is here/near.  We are hated by all nations.  And opportunities are coming.

I've decided my position in this political climate is to be walking with Christ.  If he tells me to speak out, I will.  If he tells me to be quiet, I'll do that.  If he gives me a royal position to save a nation, praise God.  But I must be alert.  I must be walking with and listening to the Father.  And I must be a friend to Israel--and praying for the peace of Jerusalem.

Yes, I honestly believe...opportunity is coming!

1 comment:

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

Becky, I think there is a big difference between writing your congressman and standing up for what is right and doing these hate smear campaigns. I definitely think we can stand up for what we believe in in a way that shows love and grace and not do these big personal attacks. And as Christians, I think we should major on the majors--and quit bickering about healthcare and the gray areas. You do a good job and sticking up for your beliefs without it coming from a hateful place.