Saturday, January 18, 2014

Tour of Groom

I know most of you will never get to come to Groom to visit us.  So I wanted to give you a little tour of our new town.   

Of course, we are well-known for our 19-story cross.  If you've driven down I-40, you've probably seen it.  You can read all about it here.  It is well worth the visit--and don't miss the gift shop on the premises!  Come on a nice day so you can spend some time there.

The Grill! The Grill is one of two restaurants in town and has home cooked meals.  I haven't eaten anything there yet that I didn't love!  Be prepared to talk to the friendly locals if you visit.

This is downtown.   The thing that impressed me about Groom when I first came here was how well-kept the town is.  It's obvious our people take pride in it!

Groom S&H Grocery is owned by Charlene.  She does an amazing job---look at everything she offers here! (This is only a small portion) I knew it would be a small grocery store, but it's really remarkable...well-stocked and well-priced.  She also makes her own German sausage, banana bread, jellies, salsa, cinnamon rolls....amazing!  

Across the street from the grocery store is the Groom News.  It's a weekly newspaper and our owner/editor does a great job!

If you follow my blog, you may remember me talking about how quiet the town is--no loud traffic and you seldom hear a siren (I haven't heard one yet!).  That was before I heard the noises coming from the grain elevators!  (My cousins will be laughing at me!)  But I guess it doesn't happen often...at least at this time of year.

One of my new favorite stores--Little Bit of Everything.  And it truly has a little bit of everything!  You can even see what they carry on their Facebook page.  And if you know Jill Babcock, this is Jill & her kids leaving the store.  (She called me later wanting to know why I was taking pictures.  Ha--I got caught!!)  Hi, Jill!!

 This is the Groom post office.  I often forget to go pick up my mail.

This is the local public library connected to the fire/ambulance station.  My friend, Tina, is the local librarian.

The four churches in town (Left to right, top to bottom):  First Baptist Church (11 a.m. Sunday service ), Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church, United Methodist Church, Church of Christ.

The Groom Schools--Kindergarten through High School.  We are the Groom Tigers and our colors are red and black!

The Dairy Queen--the other restaurant in town!  It's located off one of our exits next to the motel.  The DQ has the friendliest staff!

This is one of my favorite sites--the Justice of the Peace.  Wouldn't this be a great place if you were wanting to elope?   The stuff movies are made of!

I wanted my friends and family who may never get to come to Groom to see where we live.  But...I hope I've made you want to come!  It's a great place to visit!  

No comments: