Monday, June 14, 2010

A Life Well-Lived


I was so uplifted this past friday.  Andy & I attended the funeral of Monty Givens, the father of my good friend, Brenda Coffman.  I know that's not the normal feeling after going to a funeral, but this man was exceptional....yet just common (probably as he would have described himself).  His was a life well-lived.

Brenda's husband, Chris, spoke at the funeral and said he'd wanted to marry Brenda not just because of Brenda but because of her wonderful family.  It was a family that stayed married, that loved each other--which was something he desired in his own life.  He told about the time we had a city-wide evangelistic crusade in Borger which Chris organized and how Monty was one of the largest contributors to it---and he didn't even live here!  But he believed in the work--and I think it was also because he believed in Chris and wanted to encourage him.  Everyone described Monty as a giver.  He loved to give to God's work.  In fact, the pastor used the scripture Matthew 6:19-21, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  The pastor said those verses described Monty and it also explained why Monty wasn't fearful about dying.  He'd spent his lifetime storing his treasures in heaven and was satisfied to be going to the place where his treasure was stored--his heart was already there!!!  It was such a lightbulb moment for me!  What a beautiful picture!!  

Monty also loved music.  In fact, there were 4 songs sung at the funeral.  I think it was Chris who told the story of Monty driving his RV down the road while gospel music was playing and his arm was lifted in praise to God with tears streaming down his face.  This man really loved music!  Monty was also a very reserved man...and yet the church was full of his close, close friends.  Larry, Monty's son, shared about the kind of integrity Monty had in his business---the oilfield business--where integrity is hard to find.  What a picture for a son to see.  You know? A funeral tells alot about a man and how much they're loved and respected and how well they lived their lives.  There aren't a lot of sons who can say those kinds of things about their father.

At the graveside, I told Brenda that our dads reminded me of one another.  Just common ol' Joes.  But men who left a mark on this earth.  They loved.  They gave.  And they opened their hearts to others.  I think that pretty well sums up what God has called us to do.  I can get so hung up on wanting to do great things for God...until I examine the lives of men like Monty and my dad.  Just love--love God, love your neighbor.  I think that's what they'd encourage us to do.  Chris told of how much Monty loved his kids.  He also said everyone of them had broken his heart at some point, but he just kept loving them.  He loved and he gave.  He invested in people ( also eternal) and he stored his treasures in heaven.  I think that's a life well-lived. 

3 comments:

Kathy Starnes said...

Becky, I love reading your blog - so encouraging! I was reminded of an article that I read recently in Tabletalk magazine as I read your post. I thought you might enjoy reading it. http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/glory-plodding/ I so often forget that God is using me, even though it does not seem to be His will for my life right now to go on missions trips (a big desire of mine - maybe the "mine" word is the problem...)and doing the dishes and laundry does not seem to be doing much for the spreading of the gospel. But He has reminded me through this article, and now your blog post, that He has me right when I am supposed to be and he is using me even when it does not "feel" like it.

Kathy

Becky Dietz said...

Kathy, after my kids were gone, I realized the greatest ministry I would ever have was investing in their lives. You're doing the biggest ministry any woman can do!!

Becky Dietz said...

Wow, Kathy! That's a great article---and very encouraging coming from the next generation.