Monday, June 21, 2010

How often do you say no?

I just read Michael Kelley's blog. You must go watch this video.

As I watched it, I was struck with the thought that there were advertisements geared towards us as kids in the 50's and 60's....but our parents had no problem just saying, "NO!" (And not just "No"....but "Are you kidding??? If you want it so bad, save your money or get a job!")

I can remember as a parent having to tell my children "No," but it broke my heart. (This may surprise them! ha!)  I wanted to say yes...because all their friends had what they were asking for. (Trust me...it's not like they didn't have a room full of toys!) And as far as getting to do something special that they wanted to do, I tried to say "yes" as often as I could. (Because it's easy for my personality to just say "no" all the time.)

Fortunately, I see so many young couples around me saying "no" to their children---preventing them from becoming little consumers. I see young families teaching their children to give instead of always getting. You have no idea how grateful that makes me.

But I also see some children getting everything their little heart desires. And they quickly become bored with the new thing and "need" the newest new thing. It makes me quiver...wondering what is at the end of all the boredom and consumerism. Now, more than ever, we need parents who will say, "No!"

Thanks for the video, Michael.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I also have a "just say no" personality. I don't like saying no, and when I catch myself saying it too much, I look for opportunities to say yes. Thus the reason An American Tale, Cinderella and Pocahontas were watched in the same day. I don't feel guilty for saying no about some things. I don't care if my kids' friends have it or not. There are just some things that I'm not going to allow into their lives, even if it costs nothing.