Saturday, May 16, 2009

Memory



I heard Amy's not feeling well today. Maybe this will perk her up! (Hee-Hee!) Who doesn't remember Glamour Shots??? As I read Katy's blog today about flying to Dallas for Hanna's 16th birthday party, I was taken back to Amy's 16th birthday in my mind. Actually, I think she was younger in these pics, but I'm recovering from the flu and didn't want to wade through all my pics trying to find her at 16. And if I'd found the photo I was really looking for, you would see how much better we all look now---almost 14 years later! But isn't her thick red, curly hair to die for??
I wanted to make Amy's 16th birthday fun and memorable. So I asked her what she wanted to do...and she wanted to go to our family's lake house (by McLean) with Kaye & Liz Smith. I was a little nervous about the plan because I'd gotten to where I didn't like going out there---there were mice gnawing through the floor, wasps that nested inside the house, and the ever-growing grass that needed to be mowed. But...I loaded up our ice chest full of burgers and hot dogs and off the four of us girls went to the lake house.
When we pulled in, there was dead silence in our car. I drove slowly. The grass didn't just need mowing, it was waist-high. We opened the door to the lake house, and batted away wasps as we entered. No one was talking. I was afraid to say anything....afraid Amy would burst into tears! Liz finally mustered her courage and said, "I'll mow!" So I quickly began looking for the shed keys so we could get the riding lawn mower out. No keys. Things were going downhill quickly! I looked at Amy and said, "O.K....let's think of Plan B!"
I called Andy and got permission to take us all to a motel in Amarillo---ice chest and all! Kaye & I started laughing on the way to Amarillo and trying to change the mood from disappointment to adventure! We checked into the clean, mouse-free, wasp-free motel and went to eat dinner. Amy chose to go to Kabuki. We had a great time. The highlight was when we told them it was Amy's birthday and the waitresses came and sang, "Hoppy Burshday to oyou..." We were all trying to not burst out laughing!
Then we had a movie marathon! Amy, do you remember one of the movies we went to see? I do. DUMB & DUMBER!! I walked out of there saying, "That's one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen!" (Now it's one I laugh at the most!)
The birthday was redeemed! I think it's one of the most fun memories I have with the 4 of us!! Some day, I'll put up the photo w/ the four of us....you'll laugh....long and hard. Amy's 16th birthday was definitely memorable!

7 comments:

Julie Simmons said...

oh, Kabuki!!!! we LOVED that place! i craved it when i was pregnant with Hannah, YUM! YUMYUMYUM

amy wright said...

Oh wow! Let's just leave it at these pictures and forget the rest! I think I was 12 or 13 in my Glamour Shots pictures. Do you think they wanted me to look about 30? Sheesh!
I loved that birthday...still my favorite! Thanks for the memory.

Kara said...

Awww what a special birthday.

Emily Suzanne said...

I remember glamour shots!! I always wanted some, but never got them :(
oh well! Sounds like amy had a great birthday!!

Sewn Together said...

What a special memory...I love the pics!

Enjoying the journey... said...

I WANT TO SEE THE PICTURE! PLEASE POST!!! I can't wait to pull this post up for Hanna to read when she gets home!!! We too had a few "go with the flow" changes to our plans.....me walking on egg shells hoping she would not be disappointed! All part of the coming of age...looking back at the emotions that seemed "huge" at the time! I will be checking back for the picture!! :)
Thanks for posting....it was encouraging to me!

Knock On Wood said...

I love these pics of Amy, she is so naturally beautiful. seeing these was the first time I've ever been glad that I did not have a photo scanner, I found my glamour shots when we moved and I have on a brown leather fringed jacket and a cowboy hat! The hat looks exactly like Woody's from Toy Story, I'm not kidding!!!!!!!!!