Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Let's Dance!



I read something on Facebook this morning by my friend and former classmate, Lakan Mariano.  He talked about dancing with his wife and comparing it to dancing with God.  Since I was already thinking on my past interactions with God this morning, it began to bring my relationship with Him into focus.  You see, my whole life, I feel like I've been impatient.  I've been a poor dance partner with God.  (I actually don't know how to dance.  That's probably because I was never willing to give up control.)  If God shared anything with me about my future, I wanted it to happen right then.  I could well relate to Joseph and his dreams...which took years to actually come about.  Or if I began to sense my future was going to change, I'd try to force the change.  Or I'd sit around and BEG God to change things.  It's been hard for me to learn contentment.  But mostly it's been hard for me to give up control and learn to follow His dance steps.

I feel like I'm finally learning.  And I think the things which have been most helpful to get to this place is learning my purpose in life.  Why did God put me here?  What does He want me to do?  How did He create me?  When that was answered, the next question was, "How?"  And God began to show me...just do the next thing right under your nose.  Life isn't about waiting for the BIG THING to happen, it's about doing the next step.  It's following His lead.  It's a beautifully intimate dance choreographed by God but to which He's offered His hand and asked me to follow His lead.

So many times, the next thing right under my nose is something small which pleases me--and pleases God--something I was created to do.  And when God has completed that purpose, He'll promote me to the next thing.  It's like a twirl or a dip added into this amazing dance called life.  It's movement, it's grace, it's the unforced rhythm of grace.  This video is a picture of what I'm talking about.


"Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. 
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace."  
Matthew 11:29



No comments: