Monday, January 4, 2016

I Do It Myself!


It was so cute that Christmas morning when Matthew opened his first pair of cowboy boots.  He was so excited!  You see, my mom had taken him shopping just a couple of weeks before at the local western wear store and they had tried on those cowboy boots.  Matt cried when they left the store--he wanted those boots!  He certainly didn't understand delayed gratification at 17-months-old.  And honestly, I thought cowboy boots were the answer to all my little-boy-shoe-wearing-problems.  Easy to slip on and ready to go!  I couldn't have been more wrong.


You see that proud little face right there?  He had helped put on his own cowboy boots.  And this was one determined little dude.  It would have been an easy thing to put those cowboy boots on every morning--if he had let me help.  But Matt came out of the womb strong willed.  Those boots became a source of contention in our lives.


Matt & Amy were only 1 year and 1 day apart.  So I'd spend a good deal of time each morning just getting them ready.  And if I had somewhere to go?  I'd get Matt ready first and give him his boots so he'd have a head start while I got Amy ready.  I remember one morning when I was in a hurry to get somewhere and he was determinedly trying to get his boots on.  I told him I was going to have to help him so we could go and his famous reply was, "I do it myself!"  Oh the battles!! I'm pretty sure that was the last pair of cowboy boots Matt ever owned.

How many times have I done that with God?  He's handed me a task that is meant to bless me and to demonstrate His great power and I'm screaming, "I do it myself!"  I miss the whole blessing God intended it to be because of my strong will.  God never intended for us to do this life alone.  Anything He's asked us to do, He stands ready to help.  He doesn't want to see what we can do--He wants the world to see what He can do through us.


And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), to be with you forever—  John 14:16

No comments: