Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Yoke


I attended New Life Church in Dalhart, TX this past Sunday which is where my son, Zach, leads worship and is youth minister.  The pastor there is Terry Stegall.  It was an exciting service.  (God is doing some amazing things there!!)  In fact, I have a whole other blog to write about a ministry which was highlighted that day.  But for today, I want to share what Pastor Terry said in his sermon.  It was a completely new thought for me and I wanted to share it since it may be useful to anyone reading this.

One of the scriptures Terry used Sunday morning was Matthew 11:29-30, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Terry explained how in that day (and probably some now, too), a man crafted a yoke specifically for his oxen.  He measured the neck, the shoulder, the head and made a perfect fit to yoke 2 of his oxen together.  And the yoke was easy because it was a FIT!  It fit that oxen perfectly.

The same is true for us.  We are yoked to Jesus and he has created a yoke (a calling) specifically for us.   What he's asked us to do is something created just for us.  And when it's a FIT, it's easy to do!  Think about what you love to do.  Isn't it easy, a joy?   That's your yoke. He's created a yoke (a calling) just for you which is easy and carrying that burden will be light.

I love it.

No comments: