Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mondays with My Old Pastor By José Navajo


I cannot say enough about this book, Mondays with My Old Pastor by Jose Navajo.  I wish I could put it in the hands of every believer...but especially in the hands of every minister.  Jose is a gifted writer.  But his story is amazing.  I actually chose this book because its description said, "A totally burned-out young preacher reignites his faith and gathers wisdom for life while spending successive Mondays with an eighty-three-year-old pastor."  That intrigued me.  It not only intrigued me, but I was feeling discouraged and thought it might speak to me.

Jose asks questions of his pastor that I think we have all asked ourselves (at least) at some point.  And his wise pastor has refreshing answers.  And...his pastor loves to tell stories!  So he gives Jose answers with stories to illustrate his point.  His pastor and his wife have a very loving relationship which serves as an example to all of the things he's telling Jose.  He reminds Jose that his marriage is his greatest ministry to his church--and to preserve it at all cost.

There are 15 major points that the pastor makes to his protege.  Fifteen great points.  Through the chapters, you see the transformation all of this is making in Jose's life.  But not only did I see the difference it was making in Jose's life, I saw a change in my attitude and outlook.

I could not put this book down!!  I read it in one sitting one evening.  It was refreshing to my soul.  But about three-fourths of the way through the book, I had a need to begin underlining the things that were sticking out to me...but I didn't.  I purposed to re-read the book...slowly...and underline then.  This book is a keeper.  I will put it on my bookshelf and read it again and again.  Thank you, Jose Navajo, for putting your journal in book form.  I give this book 10 out of 5 stars.  (Yes, it 's that good!)

Thank you to Book Sneeze for providing this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments: