Thursday, November 17, 2011

Decision Points by George W. Bush


I was very anxious to begin reading this book after I received it in the mail to review for WaterBrook Multnomah.  I appreciated George W. Bush as a president--especially his leadership after 9/11.   So I wanted to see his presidency from his perspective in his own words.

How enlightening!  I'm sure it would be enlightening to read the words of any president of his own administration years.  But this president was the first since Abraham Lincoln to face an attack on U.S. soil.  Even though I had heard President Bush speak of various things concerning 9/11, it was interesting to see the timeline and what he or his family were doing at various points.  I didn't know that so many threats were made during that time and that he and Mrs. Bush ended up running for safety that first night after the attack...thinking another attack was coming.

I loved reading about his relationship with his father and the deep love and respect they have for one another.  I think it's hilarious to hear him joke about his mother and how much alike they are.  I really appreciate his sarcastic humor throughout the book--which he says comes from his mother.  You can tell they are a close family which he seems to have fostered with his daughters as well.

It's interesting to note President Bush's feelings of his staff, congressmen, senators and the critical issues they faced during his years of presidency.  I appreciated seeing the inside workings of some of those issues.  I also enjoyed getting a look aboard Air Force One and how things operate from that office at times.

George W. Bush doesn't sidestep any issue in this book.  He approaches it head on--whether you agree with him or not--love him or hate him.  He just wants everyone to understand the reason he made the decisions he made as president.  And I think you'll have a pretty good idea of those reasons after reading this book.  I honestly think you'd enjoy reading this book whether you appreciated George W. Bush as president or not.

I'd give this book 5 out of 5 stars!
Thank you to WaterBrook Multnomah Publishers for providing this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

2 comments:

As We Are said...

To date, one of the ONLY books I have seen my man read. He made it through the whole thing and said it was very interesting.

amy wright said...

Oooh, save it for me so that I can read it. :)