Friday, November 5, 2010

Hatteras Girl by Alice J. Wisler


I'm always game to read books from a new author--and Alice J. Wisler was a new author for me.  Although I felt that she was a nifty word craftsman, I found her book to be a bit depressing.  But even at that, I'd read another of her books---hoping for a happier theme.

This book centers around  30-year-old Jackie Donovan who lives in North Carolina's Outer Banks.  She writes for a newspaper and has a dream of opening a bed and breakfast in the Bailey House--a house she visited often as a child.  Jackie's best friend, Minnie, has recently lost her husband in a boating accident and she and her young unruly son have moved in with Jackie to survive financially.  Minnie's mom is suffering from Alzheimers and lives in a nursing home which Jackie and Minnie visit at least once a week.  Minnie's mom no longer seems to know her.  And then there are the love interests...and conflicts.  I felt the love conflict lasted a little too long in this book.  And I felt the best part of the book was the last fifty pages.  The ending was heartwarming and redemptive although I felt there were some issues left unresolved for the reader.

Most reviews I've read on Hatteras Girl are very positive.  But I'm giving this book a 3 out of 5 stars.

Thank you to Bethany House Publishing Group for providing this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Funny we chose to read the same book first. The book cover drew me in... LOL