Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Good Old Way--Pt. 2

Guess what was on the good, old way? Altars or monuments. Places where the ancients had met God or where something spiritually significant had taken place. They were reminders as they came back that way to remember what God had done. It was also a signpost for others--so they would seek God and follow him.
I'm such a visual person. I love seeing things that remind me of God. Yesterday, when we were shopping, Jodina found a cast of a hand that she bought so her husband could put change in it every night. She's nuts! She was holding hands with it on the way home. Ha! (Have I told you that I love that girl??) An interesting thing happened when she gave it to her husband---it reminded him of something God had done in his life. So now it sits on his dresser and will be a constant reminder to him of God's goodness. I have monuments in my life. There are stones on the corners of my lot---places I marked as God's territory. There's a place behind Teri's house where we buried our past. Visual, visible things that mark significant spiritual victories in our lives. We've called ourselves crazy when we did those things. But...were we? I like to think God was smiling as we buried our past. He knew we'd want a visible reminder of his goodness.
So. I've discovered one thing on that good, old way! Altars and monuments that are signposts for us. The ancients left them behind. (Does that make me ancient? Ouch!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved this idea Becky! I want to start doing this!!!!