Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rob Bell

There is much ado about Rob Bell right now and the book he's written.  Zach showed me his videos months ago and I thought he was intriguing and engaging.  And when Zach was also the first to tell me about the new book and sent me some of his quotes, I really didn't even get what Rob was saying.  I felt like he was talking in circles.

I think the whole Rob Bell episode should be a lesson for us.  DO NOT BE DECEIVED.  How do we avoid deception?  By knowing the Truth.  I'm sure you've all heard that when they are training bank tellers how to tell a real dollar bill from a counterfeit, they don't teach them what a counterfeit looks like.  They make them examine a real dollar bill over and over.  And then they slip in a counterfeit.  It becomes obvious right away because they've been trained to know what a real dollar bill looks like.

We need to know the Truth--the Word of God.  Don't accept what men teach you.  Read it over and over for yourself.  Quit with the excuses.  Take responsibility for where you are.  Get a version of the Bible you do understand and start reading, start marking, start memorizing, take notes.  And then get another version of the Bible and do the same.  If you have questions, look at Greek & Hebrew dictionaries and commentaries.  Ask someone you trust.

But most importantly, let the Holy Spirit teach you.  John 14:26 (Amplified) says this:  "But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you."  If you're a believer, you have the best teacher in the world living inside of you.  He wants to teach you!  So as you sit to read your Bible, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read.  It's made all the difference in the world in my life.  


We've been told there are going to be false teachers in the world.  Learn to know the Truth and you won't be drawn away by the counterfeit.   And don't have itching ears

4 comments:

Sandra said...

I'd never heard of him until I started seeing all of the controversy online. Wow.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have read his other books and didn't know about the controversy until reading your blog. I will have to read the new book to see what it's all about. It will be sad if he, in truth, is a "universalist".

Hope said...

I am undecided on whether or not I want to read the new book. His videos usually do challenge me to search the Bible if nothing else, but often leave me thinking "HUH?"

You are so right in that we need to know the TRUTH in order to distinguish from it. The scary thing is that so many people just trust and agree with anything they hear from a "trusting" source.