Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The New Debt-Free Secret


Yep, there's a new debt-free secret.  And I stumbled upon it quite by accident.  This week in our prayer group, God just kept zeroing in on the issue of love in our conversation and prayer time.  Jodina quoted this verse:  "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law." Romans 13:8

Love.  Why is love paired with owing in this verse?  That was the question that wouldn't leave my mind!  And it wasn't until the next day that it hit me.  And God presented it to me in an algebra equation.  (Go figure!  Who knew algebra would come in handy?)
a + b = d + b x c   
Ok...I never was very good at algebra, so my equation may not actually work.  But you'll get the idea.

a = God loves
b = God gave
d = We love
b = We give
c = God gives back

When we love, we give.  And when we give, God gives back to us..."Give, and [gifts] will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will they pour into [the pouch formed by] the bosom [of your robe and used as a bag]. For with the measure you deal out [with the measure you use when you confer benefits on others], it will be measured back to you."


Is it as hard for you as it is for me to love some people?  This verse has put that into perspective for me, too.  I owe them love.  It's not an option...it's a requirement.  They are entitled to it---it's their right.  Ever since God showed me this, I've had to practice giving what I owe to others--love.  It's a sacrificial thing. 

I think it's a two-sided coin.  It will keep me out of debt financially.  But it will keep me in constant debt as I pay them the love to which they're entitled.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow...thanks for sharing that!!! I had never thought about that but it certainly gives me a new perspective!!! It also gives me new eyes to see people through!!!

NonModern said...

This verse was taught to us by dad when we were kids, and it hasn't failed yet. The greatest way to stay out of debt is to never buy anything on credit!

I think that is a harder concept for American Christians with the way that Biblical teaching has been so watered down and mixed with "the American dream" and materialism. It is sad really, since the American Church is the richest in the history of the Kingdom.

I had a German colleague tell me a story about a trip to America and Christians there. She was taken to a house so big that she joked with the owners about needing a map to find her way around. When she asked them how she could pray for them, they said that they needed prayer for a financial breakthrough! These people live in a mansion (truly) and yet they don't have enough money to do the ministry they feel God has called them to do!

What would the world be like if Christians in America decided to stop living in debt and outright materialism?