Friday, January 21, 2011

Knowledge to Bias

God revealed something to me this morning...
It's so easy to move from knowledge to bias.  What is bias?  Dictionary.com says this:  "–noun  a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice."
How does it happen?  It starts out with me being teachable. And then it goes like this:

teachable>knowledge>conviction>strong conviction>bias

The end result of having bias is that we feel like we know it all.  We have reached a prejudice.  We're no longer teachable.  We have become our own god.  What's the antidote?  I think it goes like this:

teachable>knowledge>teachable>conviction>teachable

We must remain teachable.  Do you know any old people (or young people, for that matter) who are know-it-alls?  Not very pretty, is it?  Please dear God, help me to always be teachable!

*Amendment
I woke up this morning with a different formula:
teachable>knowledge of Truth>teachable>conviction>teachable
IT'S KNOWING TRUTH THAT SETS US FREE!  (John 8:32)

1 comment:

amy wright said...

Oooh. Ick. Thankfully I was teachable when I just read this. Just say "no" to bias, Amy!!