Monday, March 23, 2009

Still Learning...

Wow! Tammy doesn't know what she started in my life!!! (Thank you, Tammy!) On Friday, I posted a blog entitled My List. On this list, I put the things I want to do before I die. Now I have to tell you that when I got through writing my first rendition of this list, I only had spiritual things on it. I felt the need to apologize at the end. And then I reminded myself that it's OK to have fun--so I went back and added the fun things in. Let me explain. When I started to do the list like Tammy had done, I realized I couldn't do it--I know myself too well. I know if I had it to do all over again, it probably wouldn't be much different. I'm a very focused person. I have a job to do. I don't play around. In fact, I don't really like to play. (There. I admitted it!) I make myself play and have fun. Is that crazy? In fact, that is the reason I surround myself with fun people. They keep me balanced. Most people would never know this because I do love to laugh! But for those who know me well, know this about me--or maybe no one really knows this, I don't know! I also don't like to spend money. Part of the reason for this is that I spent a lot of years mismanaging money, so I learned not to trust myself. And because I have a job to do, I don't like spending money on frivolous things--and especially on myself! I want to be a good steward.

So...I've been thinking on all of this for a long weekend. And God began to show me something. Remember this verse? "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:19-20. I've tried all of my life to store my treasures in heaven. And if you know me, you know I am not materialistic. Things just don't mean a great deal to me. (This is where it gets exciting!) This weekend, I realized that storing up treasures in heaven isn't just bringing people to Christ, tithing and giving to needs, teaching Truth, discipling others, growing in Christ and all of those other godly, wonderful things.

I can spend money on things I've considered extravagant and even wasteful and be storing up treasures in heaven. If I'm investing in relationships, that's storing treasure in heaven. If I'm spending money to go on a date with my husband---that's storing treasure in heaven. If I'm spending money on a vacation with my family--that's storing treasure in heaven. If I'm spending money on going to see my kids & grandkids in Florida, that's storing treasure in heaven. And the reason this is storing treasure in heaven is because God designed these relationships. He wants us to invest in them. He has a plan for our marriages to be a picture of Christ & the church and for us, as parents, to be a picture of God to our children. These are eternal relationships. (Of course, they'll look different in heaven, but still eternal.) We're storing up treasures in heaven when we invest in these relationships. And when you invest, don't you do it wisely? You study how much and when to invest. Who knows who God has created your children to become? Isn't it wise for you to invest in them for God's kingdom purposes--with time and money? Do you know how God wants to use your husband in His kingdom plan? It would be wise to invest in him and your relationship with him. If we're not investing, we're saying that it's not important. And that's when things begin to crumble.
And where my treasure is---there's where my heart will be. I come in agreement with God for what is important---and eternal.

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

I'm guessing that our talk yesterday afternoon might have played a small role in your post today. I am so blessed to have you in my life. Thank you for your wisdom (that is always welcome even if not asked). I'm still praying about our little investment, but I'm more peaceful about it today for sure. Love you!

Tammy said...

Becky, I am a person who loves to laugh with the best of them too. I also have a hard time letting go and having fun. I have always been a take care of things and have fun later if there's time left kind of gal. I am just tired of being like that, but old ways are hard to change. I yearn to be able to do more things on a whim and just because. It is really hard some days when a certain song comes on while I am driving to not want to roll that window down, press the gas all the way and just drive wherever the road takes me. Of course, I want my hubby to be with me but it will be harder for him to break this all work no play cycle than me. I never for a minute consider a penny spent on our kid's or grandkid's wasted. Neither does Russ. For that I am very thankful. I think the phrase is called Pay it Forward?

amy wright said...

I'm excited for you! And I am glad that you are breaking loose and coming to Florida!!!!!! Hooray!

Julie Simmons said...

this is huge and freeing and....well...revolutionary for me!!!!!! thanks! i think i'll go plan our first summer vacation now! :-)

TheShermanFam said...

I think this is one of my favorite things you've ever blogged about!! I can't wait to see you work down your list!!
And I learned a little something new...I mean I knew you didn't like to play games...but NO playing AT ALL!??! Hmmm...

Becky Dietz said...

That's why I hang around you, Sherman!

Anonymous said...

I loved what you said!

I struggle with not wanting to spend money, or spending it and then regreting it. There are things to regret spending money for. I think what you shared will help me to wisely discern between 'spending' and 'investing'! Big difference!

I'm so thankful for you Becky!

Becky Dietz said...

Lindsey--When the lights came on for you as they did for me, I figured it was something worth sharing with others. And...Jodina told me to.

Tammy--Isn't it going to be wonderful spending all of eternity together and learning from one another? I can't wait!! I WANT to get to know you better.

Amy--I can't WAIT to get to Florida. And you know me better than most--so you know how much I NEED to change! Praise God!!

Julie--You bless me, girl. Your journey inspires mine.

Ember--We need to get together. I can't wait to hear about your spring break. And...thanks.

Sue--Are you kidding? You, too? And I thought you had it all together!! How can a mother of twins NOT have it all together??