Sunday, March 1, 2009

Prophecies & Headlines--Day 1

I have to confess: I've had my head in the sand. But God has gently and graciously been pulling it out. Honestly, I don't know where I've been! And maybe it's not been so much in the sand, but I've certainly been concerned with a small part of the world instead of looking at the global picture. But recently, one book after another, one DVD after another have been placed into my hands about Bible prophecy and the last days. And now I'm stirred up. I also realize when you bring up the last days, it can kill a conversation faster than anything. Why is that? God told us we'd be blessed if we were watching for Jesus' return. And how do we watch without understanding? What do we look for?
That's why I'm blogging Prophecies & Headlines. I'm not a prophecy expert. But there are some people I really trust who have studied and researched this subject extensively. So I decided to spend 31 days talking about what is going on in our world and how it's beginning to look like things are preparing for Christ's return. So...I'll share a prophecy and then a headline that goes along with that prophecy so you can see how things are shaping up in our world. I hope it excites you like it has me. I believe Jesus could come any day, so I don't know how much of this we'll get to see. But Jesus told us, "So also when you see these signs, all taken together, coming to pass, you may know of a surety that He is near, at the very doors." Matthew 24:33

Prophecy:
Revelation 18 says that in the last days, Babylon will become a very rich city, full of luxuries that the rest of the world will lust after. And in the end, when Babylon falls, merchants will weep and mourn.

Headlines:
"Babylon's Future Written in its Ruins"
"U.S. Backs Babylon Heritage Project"
For nearly two thousand years, the city of Babylon, located about sixty kilometers south of Baghdad, has been all but extinct. This has led to speculation that the Babylon described in the book of Revelation actually refers to New York or Washington or Rome or Moscow. How could it refer to an Iraqi city that doesn't exist? Except that now it does.


The main thing I've been overwhelmed with as I read about prophecy is how much God loves Israel. I hope you'll pray with me every day for the peace of Jerusalem. "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: "May those who love you be secure." Psalm 122:6
Father, please bless Jerusalem with peace! Protect them and draw Jewish men and women to yourself. Reveal yourself as their Messiah. In Jesus' name, Amen.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Father, I agree! Reveal yourself and Your Truth to the Jewish people! Bring peace to Jerusalem. Amen - so let it be!

Why is this topic conversation stopper? Fear! I know it used to be why I avoided the topic. :-)

Tammy said...

I think this topic is scary to a lot of people. The minute it comes up, you can see the fear on their faces. On other faces it's like bring it on, I am ready to discuss this. We listened to Dr. D. Jeremiah preach on this, this morning. Made me want to do the Beth Moore Daniel study again.

Rachel said...

I AM SO EXCITED! You are speaking my language.

Kara said...

Oh Becky you are amazing. I will have to let Dave read your blog as he's been really into prophecy lately, he can't get enough. He just finished reading "What in the world is going on? by Dr. David Jeremiah.

I'm excited to read all of your days. I'm a bit behind.