Saturday, March 21, 2015

Repetition in Contemporary Songs


You'd think I listened to music all the time--considering how musical my husband and children are.  But I don't--never have.  It's something called sensory overload.  I just can't handle too many "noises" going on in my life at any given time.  Interestingly, it never affected me while all three of my boys were learning to play guitar and singing.  But this morning, the thought came to me as I spent time with the Lord, to do something with all five senses.  I lit a candle (smell), drank some coffee (taste), cuddled in a throw (touch), wrote in my journal (sight), and listened to Zach's CD (hearing).  It was a wonderful experience--intentionally bringing all five senses God has given me to my time with Him this morning.

But as I listened to A Road Less Traveled's "Love Transcend" album, I was brought to emotions I experienced some time ago.  It was one of the lowest points in my life.  I was home alone and had hit rock bottom.  I didn't know where to go or what to do.  I got in our pickup and just began driving.  I had this CD on my iPhone and began playing it so I wouldn't have to think.  I drove and drove.  I was listening, but not really hearing.  The song, "Your Love Never Fails" came on.  There's a part in it which says, "You make all things work together for my good," over and over.  It took a bit, but finally my mind began really hearing the words and began to awaken.  And I had to pull the pickup over and sob.  God was speaking directly to me through that song.  I knew God was making all things work together for my good in my situation.

The next time you're tempted to complain because you think a contemporary song goes on and on, I hope you grace someone sitting in your church who needs to hear those words.  It may take repetition for their hearts to awaken and really hear what God is speaking to them.  I also challenge you to read the Psalms (Songs of David) and see how much repetition is in them.  A lot.

While I was pulled over to the side of the road, I texted Zach just to let him know how much God had used his band's music to minister to me that day.  I told him to never be afraid to use repetition in his songs--because that's how God reached me.  I'm so grateful for this beautiful song with the words repeated, "You make all things work together for my good."  I don't think that truth would have penetrated my heart without that repetition.

No comments: