Friday, April 25, 2014

The Last Bride by Beverly Lewis


The Last Bride by Beverly Lewis is #5 in the Home to Hickory Hollow series.  I didn't know that until I finished reading the book, but it explained a lot, in my opinion.

It's been a while since I've read a Beverly Lewis book--which I've always enjoyed.  I love her research, family history, and portrayal of the Amish lifestyle.  So I was eager to review this book.  Even though this book contained the usual great writing style of Beverly Lewis, I found it to be very predictable and "tired."  I didn't understand that until I found it was the last book of a series.  It felt hurried--like Mrs. Lewis was anxious to get to the end of the story.

The story is of Tessie, young girl who secretly marries Marcus, her beau who is subsequently killed in a building accident.  Tessie Ann doesn't realize that she's already pregnant at the time.  This brings about an inquisition by the Amish elders and Tessie Ann's family.  Sweet Levi quietly waits for the right time to declare his love and promise to help Tessie raise Marcus' child.

I won't stop reading Beverly Lewis' books!  I highly regard her as an author.  In fact, I'll probably read the earlier books of this series to give this book a fair shot.  I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Thank you to Bethany House for providing this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments: