Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Church in heaven?


When I was a kid, my mom taught Good News Clubs (Child Evangelism Fellowship)--and still does, I might add.  I remember at the end of a Bible lesson, she would sometimes talk about heaven--what was in heaven and what wasn't in heaven.  We'd all cheer when she'd tell us there was no school in heaven.  And there was a secret satisfaction when she'd tell us there was no church in heaven.  (But I was also the kid who, at the end of my first year in public school, was shocked to learn that we still had to go to Sunday School during the summer!)  

Now...I know what my mom meant about there being no church in heaven.  But we are the church, right?  And the tabernacle Moses built was patterned after the one in heaven.  (Hebrews 8:5)  Of course there will be worship in heaven.  

But...thinking on all of this this morning, it made me question:  Will anything we're doing in church today survive the heaven test?  Of course, some things are needed on earth that aren't in heaven.  For instance, evangelism.  We're told to take the good news to the world.  But I just wonder if some of the things we consider important in our churches today would survive in heaven? Just a thought.

"Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."

No comments: