Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Joshua Generation; Has God Anointed a New Generation?


Recently, I was having a conversation with my son, David, and was telling him that from my perspective I see that God is bypassing our generation (who have spent a great deal of time grumbling and complaining) and has anointed his generation to lead the Church.  He looked at me and said, "The Joshua Generation."  YES!  Exactly!  That's what I meant.  Later, I learned I wasn't the only one to think that.  All you have to do is google "Joshua Generation" to see what I mean.

If you remember the story of Joshua, Moses sent out 12 spies to scout out the Promised Land.  They all came home carrying huge burdens of produce and proclaiming how fruitful the land was.  But 10 of the men said, "There are GIANTS in the land!!"  Joshua & Caleb declared, "But God has promised the land to us and we can overtake them!"  God was fed up with the children of Israel's lack of faith and told them they would wander in the wilderness for 40 years until that generation had died off and He'd give the land to their children.  And they spent the next 40 years wandering and complaining.  They'd lost sight of the goal--to believe God for His promise.

I feel that is much like my generation and the one preceding me.  Our kids have gotten sick of the traditional church because all they've heard is the grumbling and complaining.  Those churches aren't going anywhere---they're wandering in their self-made circles of what they think worship should look like (since it's all about them) and complaining when they don't get their way.  They can't even remember what the goal is.  All they can think about is themselves...what they want and how they want "church" to look.  They certainly don't know how to get to the Promised Land.  Don't you think it's interesting that the next generation of Israel wasn't complaining...considering the example they'd seen and heard in their parents?  Nope.  They. were. sick. of. it.

I see our children striking out on their own.  They want to reach the Promised Land!!  They want to live an anointed life and walk in faith...believing God for what He's promised.  They want to hear God and learn deeper truths from His Word.  They're writing, teaching, writing songs, singing...they're believing and carrying the presence of God with them.

The rest of us have a choice.  We can choose our own way--walking in the circle of comfort in the wilderness we've known for years, grumbling and complaining--or be like Joshua & Caleb--the two left of their generation who got to enter the Promised Land because of their belief.  Yes!  There are still giants in the land but God has promised to go before us and to be our shield and defender.  I don't know about you, but I don't want to be left behind!!  I believe...and I'm going in.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Becky, this is so true! And was really good for me to see in writing. I always love to see your perspective on different things.