Monday, August 12, 2013

The Mirror

 

Have you read this verse and thought about it?  "As water reflects the face, so the heart reflects one person to another."  Proverbs 27:19

I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten aggravated with someone over their idiosyncrasies, habits, flesh, or sin.  It's even just made me mad!  I might have even gone on a rampage or two because of them.  But God, in His faithfulness, has been quick to point out the same things in my own life.  It's humbling, to say the least.


This week, I was getting worked up over an issue I saw in someone else's life.  It was even hard to sleep because I was so angry.  So I started praying for them....and even that wasn't doing the trick.  I was still mad and my thoughts were just swirling.  I'd read this verse just a couple of days before and it was hanging right there in my mind. I'd been told many years ago that when we see something we don't like in someone else, it's a mirror reflecting our own hearts.


I know it wasn't my thoughts which directed me to do this.  I'm not that good.  But instead of being angry, I began praying, "God, change me."  And every time that person or situation came to my mind, I prayed, "God, change me!"  God's been faithful, once again, to point out the blind spot in my own life.

No comments: