Monday, June 10, 2013

God texted me this morning...

 Stand at the crossroads and look;
 ask for the ancient paths,

ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
    and you will find rest for your souls.
    But you said, ‘We will not walk in it.’
Jeremiah 6:16

I got up and read my Bible this morning and began thinking about where Andy & I are in our life journey.  I began asking God for direction....and He texted me the verse above!  Well, technically, Jodina texted me, but I'm positive God used her--so it was the same as a text from God.

What are the ancient paths?  Is it the Baptist pathway I've been on?  Maybe the Episcoplalian?  Aren't they older?  Take a look at this chart:
BAPTIST began in 1611  (That's pretty old!)
PRESBYTERIAN--1536
EPISCOPAL--1609
LUTHERAN--1550
ROMAN CATHOLIC--367???

Those are all old pathways.  Is that what this verse is talking about?  I mean it was written in Jeremiah's day--which is older than any denomination named above.  So I don't think I'm to follow the old pathway of any denomination.  When I looked at another version of the Bible, this is what that verse says:  "Thus says the Lord: Stand by the roads and look; and ask for the eternal paths, where the good, old way is..."

And when I put it in perspective of what Jesus said, it all makes sense:  "Jesus said to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life..."  Jesus is our ancient, eternal pathway.  He knows which direction to go, because He is our Way.  All we have to do is follow Him.

A denomination?  Didn't Jesus come to tear down walls?  Didn't He rebuke religious leaders of His day for their religiosity?  Didn't he do away with tradition?

There's only ONE Ancient Pathway...and His name is Jesus.  (And I love getting texts from Him!)

2 comments:

Juanita said...

Amen, Becky. This is interesting as I have been thinking on the same thing.

Duncans in Doha said...

Amen! Greg & I have felt the same since we left Borger, and definitely after living in the Middle East. It's not about "religion", it's about relationship.