Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Who knows their own heart?

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly perverse and corrupt and severely, mortally sick! Who can know it [perceive, understand, be acquainted with his own heart and mind]?" 
Jeremiah 17:9

Recently, God has been exposing my heart to myself.  And I can attest to the truth of the above verse.  We really don't know our own hearts.  Which is why God told Moses to make sacrifices for known and unknown sins.  I just had no idea I had so many unknown sins.  It's ugly, sick and mind-numbing--and hard to face.  But that's the good thing about fasting from Facebook---God has had time to point out some things He wants to change.  I've found that's usually what God does when I fast--He doesn't necessarily change my circumstances, but my heart. 

This past week, God showed me:  He's not as concerned about our circumstances as He is our hearts.  But He'll use our circumstances to change our hearts.

I love that God not only pursues us with His love--but also with His Truth.  He is committed to transforming us and conforming us to the image of His Son.  He wants to change our hearts.

No comments: