Sunday, January 1, 2012

Out with the Old...In with the New!



2011

  • Our year started out with doctors testing Zach for a parasite (which he had) and then Ryan for gluten intolerance (which he also had).  It also involved Zach, Shanna & Lindsey being in a car wreck.  Thankfully, everyone was ok--including baby Dax who was still unborn.
  • The HIGHLIGHT of 2011 was the birth of Dax Chandler Dietz (grandbaby #8)!  He came a couple of weeks early and was also born with a broken collar bone which made me so sad.  He spent a week in NICU.
  • Another special process was begun--the adoption of baby Hadassah, the daughter of Jay & Amy--and grandbaby #9.
  • Andy & I flew to Florida for Jay's ordination in April.  It was very special and we're so proud of him!  We also got to celebrate the boys' birthdays.
  • Matt & his workers came and spent a few days.  They repaired our porch.
  • I'd promised Zach & Shanna I'd come spend a week with them and help in the transition as Shanna went back to work.  That was in May.  What a fun time!  (And they really didn't need me.)
  • Lindsey & the kids came and spent a week with us to go to VBS at our church.  We had a grand time playing in the water in the afternoons.
  • We had our house painted--a big event around here!
  • David & Lindsey moved into my brother's house in Amarillo--what a blessing!
  • Caitlin & Alexis came to visit alone...and then while David, Lindsey & their kids were here.
  • Jay & Amy moved to DALLAS!!!  We're so excited to have them so close.
  • Matt was baptized--our entire family was there for the event!  
  • I went to Lubbock to help with Dax and took Caitlin & Alexis with me.  We experienced the DUST STORM!
  • Zach & David & families came.  The parents went to see Courageous while we babysat.
  • We kept Ryan & Addie while mom & dad had an anniversary weekend.
  • We had 3 families here for Thanksgiving---the Thanksgiving we hope to never repeat!  We all got sick and everyone was throwing up!  Lindsey went to be with her grandmother who was dying.
  • Took the Wright kids and went to see Caitlin & Alexis perform in the Nutcracker.  
  • Jay & Amy went to Ethiopia to go to court for the adoption of Hadassah.  They finally got to meet their beautiful daughter.  We kept the other three kids.
  • A wonderful Christmas with the family.
If I could sum 2011 up, it would be family.  I'd made a commitment to the Lord when the year began that my job wouldn't come before my family.  I wouldn't say "no" to babysitting because of a paycheck.  And as I looked back over my year, we had lots of grandkid time!  And always enough money.
It was also a very hard year.  There were so many challenges and disappointments.  But God was faithful--just like He always is.  


2012

I don't know what 2012 will hold.  I'm praying it's a gentler year.  And I'm praying Miss Hadassah Melat Wright comes home within the first two months of the year!  I believe there will be change.  But life is all about change, right?  I'm praying about what I need to give up to spend more time with the Lord to know Him better.  I want to be more focused and balanced in my life.  I want more rest and more fun.  I just want to see what God wants for our lives and follow closely--with excitement!  And I'm praying your life is blessed, as well.  Happy 2012!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

It was a GOOD year, but full indeed. I didn't know you had made that commitment about grandkids and your paycheck, but I'm so thankful you did. You are an awesome Guh! We are so thankful for you and your commitment to us. We love you!